Missio Dei

Follow our group blog: Missio Dei

Friday, March 9, 2012

Defining a Worldview


Everyone has their own way  of learning. During my adolescent school days my learning style was well, not exactly "up to par." When I didn't understand something I wouldn't get answers, therefore resulting in bad grades and skipping classes... a lot! I got into trouble because my main focus was being social. By not understanding and not keeping up with my classes (other than my favorite lunch time and computer class) I would fall behind. 

Our lesson from two weeks ago was about "Defining a Worldview." We were asked several questions about cliches or stories we were frequently told in our family on certain values like...the value of work or the value of success or the value of conflict resolution? We learn from the time we are infants, the values of our culture, of our family, the ways of our environment. Surrounding and upholding each culture is worldview-both on a individual level, as well as on a community level. Because cultures are  always changing , it is appropriate to compare cultures  and to introduce new ideas and ways of doing things. This is how cultures become more effective at helping cope with the changing realities of life.**

As I prepare to travel and immerse myself in into another culture this bible verse sticks out in my mind... 
"Preach the word!  Be ready in season and out of season." 
-2 Tim. 4:2 
Which means being prepared. Now, the much  "older" and "wiser" me has done  some research and studying via Google to gain the proper knowledge about different worldviews (cultures) and how to confront certain situations with scripture. Especially now because it has to do with this mission and after we return. I have to  be honest and say that I don't know much about the bible other than what I hear on Sundays and passages underlined and highlighted in my bible from years ago. I like this verse because it says to "be ready in and out of season" and for the first time I can say that I am.

Thanks to these lessons we are do doing at our Haiti meetings I have learned asks questions about things I don't understand and more importantly it has taught me learn about the bible on my own and retain the information so that I can pass it on. 


 
ART AND CULTURE: Taste of Haiti
Haitian art became world famous in 1943, the year the Centre d'Art was founded in Port-au-Prince.
____________________________________________________________
Are you Curious?
Curiosity is essential for cross-cultural examination. We should seek to learn, to understand the "strange" ways people act, think, and live, to understand the meanings behind peoples actions, customs, and ways.**  I'm excited to see what this adventure has in store for me, and to see how God uses my curiosity and new found knowledge while I'm in Haiti.

 "Each day learn something new, and just as important, relearn something old." 
~Robert Brault

 Yours Faithfully,
 Jes Marie


**from our Missio Dei journals via J.D. 




Landon LOVES this ridiculous hat that is way too small for him. LOL!













































No comments:

Post a Comment