Missio Dei

Follow our group blog: Missio Dei

Thursday, March 22, 2012

No "I" in Team(BUT THERE IS A "ME")

When spring semester started, so did Tuesday and Thursday lunches with whoever could make it. God bless Jodie because every week she will text us "all" to see if we can make it or as just a friendly reminder. Now when I say "all" of us, what I mean is it's usually just Casey, Jodie, and I along with a few special guests like Sierra, Joe, Josh and Mel. But more often than not, it's just the three of us.
 
At first it was kind of awkward. I hadn't hung out with Casey outside of church and it had been years and years since I had even talked to Jodie, but here we are getting together twice a week. It hasn't taken long for us to get to know each other because we are all going to Haiti together, and have been able to bond over our fears about going.  Plus, we have connected by talking about all the things we need to do to get ready.
 
After awhile, I realized I had never seen Casey laugh so hard (mostly at with Jodie) and it was cool to see him come to lunch even though he was the only guy (most of the time). I also didn't know how knowledgeable Casey is; he had an answer for just about every question I had. Don't let his quietness fool you, because he is the most giving and hard working guy ever. And as for Jodie, I cannot say enough good things about her. I truly love this girl and I feel so incredibly lucky to have her in my life. She is so funny (who doesn't like to laugh), she loves God  and doesn't care who knows it!
 
Our tight knit group has really served us well as we have been getting ready to go on this adventure. But what happens when we get to Haiti? Will I feel so uncomfortable and out of my element that it keeps me from branching out and meeting new people? This is a very sobering reality for all of us. We were asked this question at our last Haiti meeting. 
 
I can't speak for Casey or Jodie, but for my personal contribution on this trip I want to be the strong silent type and I also want be a team player no matter what. I want to help out in any way I can and with no complaints. I want to learn all I can in a short amount of time, especially letting the Holy Spirit lead and work through me for who I am.

My wise friend LC said these words to me the other day and it kinda stuck--Be you. Spread your smile and love these people. Be you. When you meet new friends, help them feel God's unending love. It's going to be awesome and life changing. Remember that you can't always change their situation, but you can always show them God's love...
(Click on the link above and take a moment to read this chapter, it's food for the soul)

The individual members of a team do not simply fade into the background. Each person has a responsibility to encourage, to commit, to involve themselves in the whole. Our goal as a group is to "bridge the gap" and make Haitian friends. We will share ourselves with them and by letting them get to know us, it will help "bridge the gap", winning their respect and trust. Even when we disagree, or think our way is better, we need to honor and submit to their ways of doing things. My team will also be serving according to their cultural patterns. In this whole learning process, we must try to understand their cultural norms and try to respect them.**
 
This new experience begins in a week and I'm praying that all my preparations pay off while I'm in Haiti. I've learned so much about myself and my friends that are going. Which reminds me: I still need to write up a contract for Jodie to sign, that says she is not allowed to complain about anything EXCEPT how hot it is... we'll be holding each other accountable. LOL!


Please pray for our safety and be kind to one another!


The Core Tuesday and Thursday Lunch Crew:
Casey Face

& Jodie







**from my Missio Dei Journal

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Even more excited for you now. And I'm so glad that you get to hang out with Jodie...she's the best!

    ReplyDelete