Missio Dei

Follow our group blog: Missio Dei

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Proper Nourishment


Here’s a big, Big, BIG THANK YOU to everyone who financially supported my personal fund-raising. I raised $620 as of yesterday and the rest will be covered by a generous benefactor.  And as a group we are placing another order for more Hydro Flask water bottles, so anyone still interested in buying one can. (hint, hint!)

During my preparation for Haiti, I didn’t realize what all it would entail. Not only was I personally raising $1,000 but I was raising extra funds for the work we will be doing there. I also didn’t know how much of my own money I would need to put in and that’s when I felt stressed and worried. For a first timer (who doesn’t have updated immunizations) it cost me $226 to get shot up with needles. And because I’m of African descent, my malaria meds were $93 plus an additional $8 for other meds we needed. OUCH!  I also spent money for some skirts, a few shirts and goodies for the Haitians--expenses that added up very quickly. In fact, I spent the last few weeks crying about money, but in my heart I knew God would provide.

 When my fund-raising efforts began, I told my long time friend Andrea not to be offended that I wasn’t sending her a letter because I had people from the outside to help me. Then shortly after  I sent out 11 of my letters, my other dear friend Beth had contacted me wanting to help me out as well. Now, I intentionally didn’t send them letters because these two women have already been there for me beyond words, and I just didn’t want to ask for more. But their giving hearts just wouldn’t take no for answer.

March was my month of prayer; but more specifically, I prayed for financial peace and stability. Every night I would lay Landon down for bed and I would pray. I prayed for Landon to sleep well and for God to watch over him. I prayed that God help Landon to be sweet and for him to listen to his mama. I thanked God for always watching over us no matter what. And I prayed for God to help me watch my spending, especially now that I’m not working and am going to Haiti; and I asked for financial peace and stability. We asked God to bless (now it’s Landon’s turn to pray) Granddad, Nonni, Katie, uncle Rob, Shu, ‘Kenna, Lana, dodge, Ang and everyone who came to his mind--plus, Boomer and our two kitties. I’ve prayed this prayer for the past 27 days, and yesterday my prayer was answered.

Andrea and Beth didn’t know I was praying this and they both wanted to give; it couldn’t have come at a better time. Those two are amazing and now I’m crying tears of happiness, peacefulness and stability! God always provides and not in ways we expect.

Thank You Beth and Andy(Levi and baby Cole too)!  And Thank You God!!




On March 25, we had our group meeting and we talked about getting the proper nourishment. But in this case it was getting proper spiritual nourishment and how we need to rely on God for that nourishment. So, as a group we fasted for 24 hours starting Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. and ending Wednesday evening with a taco dinner and send off.

A worshipful send off  
(photo taken by sister Lana)



Groups numbers 1 and 2 are heading out Friday morning at 5:15. It's SO EARLY, but I'm very excited and anxious for the adventures to come this following week. I'm comforted by the group that is going and ready to leave the rest up to God.

Group #2


Barry, Jen, Zachariah, Katie, Nick, Jodie and Me

Flights (through Continental)

Mar 30, Friday
5425: (BZN) 10:23am--- (DEN) 12:05pm
1742: (DEN) 7:20pm--- (EWR) 1:08am (MAR 31)
1007: (EWR) 10:00am--- (PAP) 12:56pm

RETURN:

April 7, Friday
1464: (PAP) 1:50pm--- (EWR) 6:45pm
April 8, Sunday (through United)
163: (EWR) 6:45am--- (DEN) 9:26am
6195: (DEN) 11:15am--- (BZN) 12:56pm




**Make sure to follow our group blog for updates on how we're doing and see what we're up to @ Missio Dei

No comments:

Post a Comment